Pp. 323- 325; “Aureliano Segundo was not aware of the singsong until the following day after breakfast...” (It’s far to long to fully type out.)
Throughout this incredibly long passage Gabriel Garcia Marquez reveals more about Fernanda’s past and personality through a frustrated rant. It seems as though she is thinking aloud as she walks about the house endlessly complaining about the very people she lives with. Fernanda’s principal complaint is that her upbringing as a queen has gone to waist as she has merely “ended up as a servant in a madhouse, with a lazy, idolatrous, libertine husband…” Though not likeable, the complex diction used throughout this passage reveals that Fernanda is smarter than people realize. On top of this, Marquez reveals several other instances in which the Buendia family was particularly cruel towards Fernanda. As much as it hurts to defend Fernanda, she raises valid points throughout her rant, justifying her many complaints. Finally, I found the structure of this passage interesting as it is one sentence that lasts three pages. As the main focus of this chapter is the relentless rain over Macondo, I believe that Marquez is comparing Fernanda’s rant and frustration to the storm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Deggs's point about comparing Fernanda's rampage with the storm is a very good connection- I had not thought about it but it's actually totally valid. I also agree with Deggs about the notion that GGM seems to be searching for some sort of pity towards Fernanda. She does seems to prove her side of the argument- that she gets no credit or appreciation for all the work she does. However I personally do not feel any remorse for how Fernanda was treated. She basically took control of the Buendia household as soon as she moved in, laying waste to the traditions and priorities of the original Buendias. I still think shes selfish and controlling. If GGM is indeed searching for pity towards Fernanda he did not do a very good job convincing the audience.
I too agree with Kira that John's connection between Fernanda's rant and the continuous rain in Macondo is a nice connection to be made. I also hadn't thought about that but it certainly makes since. I agree with the fact that many of the points Fernanda made were valid, however, I too still find it hard to sympathize with Fernanda. Maybe it is because her incessant and on going rant just makes me a little bit more annoyed with Fernanda. In addition, some of comments cause her seem very self obessed, and that she feels she is better than most everyone around her, which I have thought since her first introduction into the story. While some may find pity, I think that GGM still brings through enough of the Fernanda we have seen in previous chapters to make the audience much less sympathetic to Fernanda's complaints and character.
I agree with everyone about the connection, I too was making the same connection between Fernanda and the storm. Fernanda in a way has become the "Ursual" of the house. She keeps the house and the family in order in this long period of destruciotn of Macondo. Now taht Ursula has retired to her bed, someone has to take over her daily jobs and Fernanda volunteers herself for this job. I think that her rant was a little unnecessary. Ursula never complained about the stress of her work, and neither does Fernanda. Although she is a "queen" she should be able to run a family. I agree with Laurel too that this rant has me less sympathetic towards her character.
John,
I very much agree with the fat that you compared the long and very annoying sentence with the non stop rain that occurs during the flood. I also likethe fact that you side with Fernanda a bit, as I feel that Marquez uses this passage to show Fernanda's feelings. But, personally I feel as though Fernanda is very stuck up and ignorant.
John-
I agree that the unbelievably long sentence reflects the nonstop rain. It drags on and on, becoming almost unbearable, just like the rain. I also think that the sentence is meant to demonstrate the degree of Fernanda's anger through her literal nonstop venting. It's hard to show sympathy to Fernanda though because she is so stuck up, but your right, her strong vocabulary does make you see a different side of her. Keep up the good work:)
Post a Comment